PurposeThe purpose of the Student Travel Grant is to provide an annual incentive to full time students, graduate or undergraduate, enrolled at a four year university or college in the US with recognized engineering department programs to attend the ASNT Research Symposium.
EligibilityFull time students, graduate or undergraduate, enrolled at a four year university or college in the US.
- Submitted short essay of the student’s career plans, the role they expect NDE to play in their plans, and the benefits they anticipate from attendance at the ASNT Spring Research Symposium.
- A letter of recommendation from a faculty member which includes verification of the student’s full time status.
- A cover page with the addresses, telephone numbers, and signatures of the faculty members and names of university official.
Method of Selection
- The Financial Awards Committee shall have the primary responsibility for administration of the Student Travel Grant Program.
- The Student Travel Grant Program selection committee shall submit the name(s) of the twenty (20) proposed recipient(s) and up to two (2) alternates to ASNT ISC by 15 January.
- ASNT ISC shall monitor the adherence to the program's schedule. This shall include initiating the mailing of announcements and advertisements, as well as serving as the contact point for receipt of the student’s submitted information. A copy of the announcement and advertisement shall be provided to the Financial Awards Committee Chairman.
Selection shall be based in part on the number of students applications received. Students presenting at the Spring Research Symposium shall be given priority during the selection process. Student activities involved in NDE research will be weighted heavier.
- 1 September - Announcements shall be sent to ABET accredited engineering programs (mechanical, electrical, materials, aerospace engineering departments), and to academic members of the Research Council.
- 15 December - Deadline for receipt of Student Travel Grant application.
- 15 December – 15 January - Review of Student’s submitted application essay.
- 21 January – ASNT ISC will notify the selected students within 5 days of the Committee selecting the recipients.
Form of Award
Reimbursement not to exceed $1,000 is provided for to cover travel associated expenses to the Spring Symposium for full-time students, graduate or undergraduate, enrolled at a four year college or university. Reimbursements will be used for airfare, ground transportation, lodging and meals through submittal of receipts. Recipients who are not members of ASNT will also receive a complimentary one (1) year student membership.
Current Award Recipient(s)
Past Award RecipientsStudent-Travel-Grant_Past-Recipients
Awards and Honors Program
1711 Arlingate Lane
PO Box 28518
Columbus, OH 43228
Phone: 614-274-6003 Ext. 233 Fax: 614-274-6899