About Magnetic Particle Testing (MT)
Magnetic Particle Testing uses one or more magnetic fields to locate surface and near-surface discontinuities in ferromagnetic materials. The magnetic field can be applied with a permanent magnet or an electromagnet. When using an electromagnet, the field is present only when the current is being applied. When the magnetic field encounters a discontinuity transverse to the direction of the magnetic field, the flux lines produce a magnetic flux leakage field of their own.
This examination is 2 hrs in length, having 90 questions of equal value.
- Principles of magnets and magnetic fields
- Characteristics of magnetic fields
- Magnetic particle test equipment
- Inspection materials
- Magnetization by means if electric current
- Selecting the proper method of magnetization
- Safety and Health
The number in parentheses following each reference is the ASNT catalog number.