Computer Based Testing
ASNT offers Computer Based Testing (CBT) for all of its exams. The change began domestically in May 2016 and will extend outside the United States beginning in January 2017. ASNT has partnered with Pearson Vue to provide a quality experience for our certification candidates.
How will the process change?
- In the past, the collection of sitting fees varied based on the location of the exam. Sitting fees will now be collected at the time of the application through the ASNT website, along with the certification application fee.
- Scheduling of exams through Pearson Vue: once you are approved to take your exam, Pearson VUE will send an email notification that the computer-based testing scheduling system is open. You will create a Pearson VUE account and schedule the computer-based examination at one of the network test centers, or at one of our partners.
Benefits to you with the new implementation of Computer Based Testing:
- All fees paid upfront to ASNT for your certification and examination payments, ensuring a simpler and quicker process. You no longer pay a separate fee to the exam center.
- Schedule your exam when it’s convenient for you, whether it be right after training, or you take some time and schedule in the future.
- Thousands of test centers worldwide from which to choose, including ASNT Partners. Please note: you will still need to schedule through your Pearson Vue account to take an exam with the ASNT Partner.
- With CBT you will have instant results and access to your exam scores. Examinations with essay responses will not receive onsite results as they will require additional validation.
Recommended Material to Review
- Before you take your test, experience the testing software through a demonstration site.
- Preview a Translation Dictionary. Available in British English, Mandarin Chinese, Arabic, Korean, and Spanish.
- Preview use of the calculator provided for CBT exams (PowerPoint).
- More information about computer based testing can be found on our page of Frequently Asked Questions.