Industrial Radiography Radiation Safety Personnel (IRRSP) Program
The Industrial Radiography Radiation Safety Personnel (IRRSP) program provides third-party radiation safety certification that meets the certification requirements of both Title 10 Part 34 of the Code of Federal Regulations (10CFR34), and the Suggested State Regulations for Control of Radiation (SSRCR, Part E, Radiation Safety Requirements for Industrial Radiographic Operations.
Three IRRSP certification examinations are available:
--Radioactive materials (RAM), for personnel using gamma sources only;
--X-Ray, for personnel using x-ray machines only; and
--Combination (“Combo”) for personnel working with both RAM and x-ray devices.
Acceptance of the IRRSP radiation safety certification within a state is solely at the discretion of the state in question. However, states that do recognize “approved certifying entities” will accept the IRRSP certifications because ASNT is an approved Certifying Entity. Questions regarding acceptability should be directed to the department governing the state’s radiation control program. A listing of State Regulatory Agencies can be found HERE.
About the IRRSP Program
- Program Document The current IRRSP specification (pdf).
- Initial Qualification Requirements for education and experience.
- Structure of the Exams Examinations Includes information on qualification requirements and examinations. Also includes a topical outline and references.
- Application for the Exam IRRSP Exam application (pdf) Use this IRRSP exam application for new certifications, to retake failed exams, or to recertify by examination.
- Prepare for the Exams ASNT Bookstore offer numerous titles including ASNT Study Guide: Industrial Radiography Radiation Safety by Derrick McCain (2300). See all of ASNT offerings on Radiation Safety.
- Where to Take the Exams Exam Partners
- Exam Schedule
Verification of Certificate Holders
- ASNT Certificate Holders A searchable database of current certificate holders
- Duplicate Certificate Request Form This form (pdf) is used to order duplicate or replacement wall certificates or wallet cards.